Saturday, August 30, 2008

Oh, Happy Days

On August 29, I turned 3 months old! Can you believe it? I am just so happy to be on this earth. I have been smiling and laughing a lot this month. Mom and Dad were watching and waiting for my real smiles, and now that I have started, I don't want to stop! There are so many fun things to smile about, but my favorite is smiling at people and the ceiling fan. I am always happy when I wake up in the mornings, and sometimes I am smiling so much that I can't even eat my bottle. I laugh a little bit, too, when I just can't help it.
Another new trick I can do is to sort of sit up on my own. I can sit in my bathtub because it has a sling to hold me up. It was just a week or two ago that whenever I took a bath it took Mom and Dad to get it done. Dad would hold me so I wouldn't drown and Mom would bath me. Then, Mom would get the towel ready and Dad would scoop me up and put me in it for her. Now that I can prop myself up a little, it only takes one person to give me a bath. They still won't let me sit in there all by myself because I fall over after a second, but at least I can help them out more now.

I really like my bath time. It makes me feel really clean and calms me down for bedtime. I always get put in my pj's right after. My favorite thing to do is to splash my feet around and make the water slosh out of the tub. It is also a good place to go to the bathroom when they take off my diaper!This is one of my friends. After my bath, he dries me off and warms me up. I get my baby massage and pajamas. For the first time, I am big enough to fit into footed pajamas. They are very fun because it is easier to kick in than the gown. It is harder for Mom and Dad though because there are a lot of snaps! It takes forever to change my diaper. I am so cute in them though that they don't mind at all.At the beginning of the month, it was still hard for me to sleep at night. One night, Mom got out my swaddle blanket again. I had not used it since I was a tiny baby. I wanted to keep kicking and waving my arms around for a little while, but this straight jacket kept me from being able to move. I had nothing better to do but go to sleep. We did this for a while. It was really annoying in the middle of the night though because they had to get me out of it, then out of my pajamas, change my diaper, put me back in my pajamas, feed me, and the swaddle me back up in my burrito. It was very tiring! I slept through most of it though.
The swaddle blanket worked for a little while, but not for long. I like to keep them guessing. One night, when I couldn't sleep because of the stuff coming up in my throat, Mom decided to try my car seat one more time. She was very sleepy and didn't know what else to do. Daddy woke up, too, and decided that he would put my car seat INSIDE my bassinet. I don't think he trusts that furry thing with big ears that sleeps with us in our room. I really liked being up high like that. It made all the difference in the world. I feel like I am a king on a throne.
I have slept here ever since. I didn't used to have to get strapped in, but one night, when I thought it would be fun to squirm down to the bottom of the car seat to visit my lamb sound machine in the bottom, I got in trouble. Mom said it was not safe and now I have to get strapped in every night so I stay put. Sometimes I grunt and squirm, and throw my legs about, but it doesn't help. I am stuck. Daddy says I am ready for an emergency evacuation.

One of these days, when my reflux is better, I will get to sleep in my own bed. Mom was going to order me a special wedge for my crib that is made just for reflux babies like me, but the plant was in Louisiana. There was a big hurricane there and they won't anwer their phone! It is okay by me because that is one more excuse for me to sleep in Mom and Dad's room a little longer.When I am sleeping soundly, I have a lot of dreams. Most of the time I dream about eating or sucking on my pacifier. It is so real that I have to move my lips. Those funny dreams are fun to have and I laugh out loud. Only sometimes do I have scary dreams and wake up and scream or get a really bad look on my face. I don't like to sleep during the day though. I think it is hilarious that Mommy thinks I am going to take a nap! Who wants to do that when there are so many things to do like kick and play with my hands!Do you have any idea how fun hands are? They can do so many things. I love to put my hands together. It is a good thing to do when I am nervous in restaurants and hear a lot of noise. It also makes me feel so much better to wring them together when I am really hungry. It is the international sign for hunger I think. Guess what else hands can do? They can grab things. On my activity center, I like to grab my big giraffe and sometimes the mirror with that other baby in it. (Who is that baby? He follows me into the car too! I laugh at him a lot. He is so silly looking.) Hands are also good for holding on to Mom's hair, fingers, and jewelry. The best part about hands... they TASTE so good! I have activity center time every day. Some tummy time and some kick time on my back. Dad always puts my burp cloth under my head so when I spit up, which is inevitable, I will not make a mess. Mom just cleans up the mess. I can kick and bat my animal friends around and, if I put my feet in just the right place, I can play music. I play so hard that I forget when I have wet diapers, and I sometimes fall asleep from all of the fun. Morning time is really fun around my house. I am always so happy. I wake up and smile and laugh a lot. I love Mom's glasses that she wears in the morning. They are so funny to look at. Also, I am just so happy not to be tied into that car seat! We do the same thing every morning. I get to eat my bottle first thing. Well, first, I have to take my medicine. I didn't like the first medicine they gave me, but my new medicine is really good. It takes Mom and Dad a long time to get it ready for me to take, but it makes me feel so much better! I get some in the morning and at night. This is a picture of my old medicine. I wasn't too sure about that stuff.

Then, while Mom and Dad are eating breakfast and getting ready, I hang out in my Boppy seat. I like this "Lazy A" better than the one that used to be in my bed. I admit that sometimes I like to watch the TV. Mom is not too happy about that, but Dad lets me since I watch the CNBC show "Squawk Box" with him. He thinks I should learn about the economy so I can calculate how much per ounce it costs me to eat my formula. He thinks this is a fun game. I think I am going to have to teach him some new ones because I don't think my friends are going to like that one. Having fun, watching TV, going on a trip out of the house...it doesn't matter what I do. Eventually, there is going to be spit up! My favorite thing to do to Mom is to hold it all in until she puts me in my new clothes. Then, I let it rip! This is especially fun when it is something she has to use the hot, steam machine on. I made an exception here by spitting up on my t-shirt so I could show you how it works. I have figured out that I rule this house. As long as I smile a little and look cute, Mom and Dad do all kinds of things when I cry. I know how to work them. Even better than that, Lucy is very scared of my power. She runs when I even come in the room. She has never even stepped on my blanket. I snuck up behind her a few days ago to see how close I could get. I don't think she saw me.Well, another month has gone by. As you can see, we are still having fun around here. I am getting so big that if you haven't seen me in a while, you will not even recognize me. Mom is hitting all of the consignment sales at the churches next week because I am outgrowing all of my clothes (and Dad says that he likes the prices there the best). I am so happy to show you that I am now bigger than Teddy!

No comments: