Halloween seemed to go on forever and ever. We have had enough fun and enough Halloween to last us 364 more days. As you will see, this Halloween brought us some wonderful memories and stories to share, however, if I never have to put that Dalmatian costume on my poor baby or pull up fireman suspenders and buckle up the fireman jacket again, I will be one happy Mamma. I am more than happy we got our money's worth from the event (which admittedly was a ridiculous amount), but even my very excited children had HAD ENOUGH of getting dressed up. Before you look at the adorable smiles and happy times, this is probably the most hilarious and real moment of Halloween. Getting dressed up to Trick-or-Treat at Daddy's office. I wake up two children from a nap to put on multiple piece costumes, get them all dressed, and smell that smell...and one of them has on underwear. Oh, no! You choose now to revolt from the potty training! So, we have taken off all the layers of costume and clothing underneath to get rid of said smell and decide to go with the disposable pull-up alternative because you just can't face another incident like that again in one day. By this time, you have another diaper in the making and the pealing off of more costume. Children tired, dirty, and miserable. If you have children, you have had this moment. What else can Mom do but laugh...and get out the video camera so the world can laugh with her.
Not to dwell on the negative, Halloween with double the kids was double the entertainment. I hid Alden's Halloween costume until the day before because I knew he would want to wear it immediately. He was so pumped to be a fireman. Spencer could have cared less but was a super-duper trouper as long as we let the dalmatian have a pacifier. No, contrary to what the photos make you believe, it was not actually a component of the dog costume.
Our very first Halloween event was Allison and Stewart's annual Halloween costume party. We decided that since Mom and Dad had to dress up, we would be a football theme: cheerleader, football player, and football. I mean, what would Mom and Dad dress up as that would go along with firemen and dalmatians? I go all over town looking for a toddler football player outfit. Can't find one. I order one expressed off the internet. I send Joey to Target to get a baby football outfit which is a success. We search high and low for cheerleader outfits and finally borrow some from Lindsey and Paul which I drive all the way to their house to get. Guess what? Here are my children at Allison's party.

A Fireman.
Lessons learned: You can't tell a toddler that he is going to get to be a fireman for Halloween and then stage a big switch on him at his first Halloween party. Also, I learned, that my husband does not like to dress up in costumes. Especially in thin, red, silky cheerleader pants. I can't for the life of me think why! I promise, Allison and Stewart, we will be better prepared next year! Mom and Dad are not in any photos because, frankly, we were not worth photographing. One of us wore a pumpkin shirt and pig tails and one a soccer jersey that said Gene. I will just leave you guessing as to which one of us wore what.
Thank you, Erin, for letting Spencer sit with you for most of the night. Thank you for wearing a really cool hat that mesmerized and entertained our child.
All of the sweet babies (minus Ben who was becoming a big brother). This is the best of my photos: Jill looking away, Alden in some sort of mid-sentence daze, and Spencer with upside-down feet and no eyes at all. Anna, you look poised and posed! With coloring books, matchbox cars, puzzles, Mr. Potato Head, a couple of rattles, corn hole, and food, we made it through a couple of hours. It took me about as long to pack the diaper bag!

Halloween Part II. What?! Another Dalmatian! No, I did not get confused and dress up my children in the wrong outfits. Alden's little preschool has a special Halloween tradition. They spend the whole month making a surprise costume and then parade through town getting candy from the local merchants. Parents are supposed to tag along and help and take precious photos. Best laid plans that is.
Tornados. Yes, tornado threats all over the state the morning of Trick-or-Treating. The good news is that it was only the parents that were disappointed. Alden got to go Trick-or-Treating at the school from classroom to classroom. There are only three classrooms, but hey, he has never been before so it was all the same to him. This is a precious costume! The red bag is a fire hydrant which Spencer then carried on actual Halloween. I had to come home and dress him up to get one photo at least. I really worked hard on my thematic backdrop there.
Alden was telling me, "Trick-or-Treat!" He kept saying all week that he was going to go Trick-or-Treat and get some candy. I am searching my brain for what TV show, or book, or school lesson he heard this from because the child has never had candy in his life. He knows nothing about it. I am the lame person who gives out raisins, pencils, or granola bars to Trick-or-Treaters (maybe that is why we never have any). He would wake up from his nap and shout, "Mommy! Trick-or-Treat!" He would be supposed to be napping and we would hear, "Ding-Dong! Trick-or-Treat!" He started telling everyone he met that he was going to be a fireman and Baby Spencer was going to be a dalmatian. Everyone. Everywhere.
Halloween III. Music Class. Probably the most perplexing moment of Halloween. Alden was the most cooperative, calmest, sweetest little musician when everyone was in costume. He sat right by me and participated and sang. I was a little freaked out because I am used to the very energetic boy that runs around in circles and bangs on the instruments and laughs and goes over to check out how the air conditioner works forty times a music class. I think he was totally weirded out. Did I mention, by the way, how hard it is to get a Dalmatian and a Fireman stuffed into a carseat? And keep them cool when it is 80 degrees on Halloween?
We LOVE music class with Mrs. Susie! It is our favorite thing all week. Alden knows all the words to all the songs from the home cd. He always takes Wolfie Dog Dog who is a member of the class. He gets mentioned in the hello and good-by song and many songs end up being sung to him. I think he is kind of the class mascot. Alden loves playing the instruments and blowing the lights on and off. This is also a ritual at Target now. I had him blow open the automatic doors one day and it has stuck. We blow them open and blow them closed when we enter and leave. This makes for a challenging job for Mom timing the shopping cart just right or coming up with little white lies about why it didn't work when we are off a little bit.
Spencer loves the instruments, too, but just to eat mostly. He cries and fusses when you take it away from him. He has no concept that you only get the instruments for that one song and then have to swap them out for different ones. He really develops very quick attachments to his new toys and has this high-pitch little squeal when they are ripped away without his permission. Most of the time, he gets his way because Mrs. Susie says he can just keep it. He wants something in his hands at all times.
This is just a Mommy moment for me. My two little boys sitting up next to each other. Sitting up! I don't know why this is so touching for me, but it just is. I was glad I caught it. They look so grown up.

There is one point in the class where Mrs. Susie just plops a huge bucket of instruments in the floor and plays a song. The kids pick one, then another, then another instrument and play along to the beat. Well, sort of. It is three minutes of nothing but unrhythmic racket. It is the best! Mommies get to play, too. Alden makes it through just about every instrument in the bucket in three minutes. Spencer just picks up whatever ends up on the floor around him. A testament to their personalities right there.
Halloween IV: Yes, we are at FOUR Halloween celebrations...and it isn't even the 31st yet! This was Trick-or-Treating at Daddy's office. Spencer lounging in Daddy's chair stealing Alden's potato chips.
Super excited.
This was Alden's very first time to get to say the magic words. Last year, he was sick on Halloween. He did a great job. A few people thought he was so cute that they would let him get more candy out of their bucket. He sort of just got used to this and expected it to happen. So, he got to the point where he just helped himself to whatever he wanted, even if the people just meant for him to take one dip in their candy bowl. It was pretty funny. I can't even begin to describe how much Alden loved this whole process and how bright his eyes were for days.
Spencer stuck with Mommy. We let Big Brother get all the candy.
Halloween V: After the office, we ran straight over to Boo at the Zoo. Clearly, Alden was so excited to see his best friend, Helen. Alden loves to hug, but he loves to hug for a long time. We always have to say "release" like he is a little puppy dog. I suppose I can think of worse problems that my child hugs too much. Hilarious sidestory: We ran into one of Joey's former co-workers. I told her that we were at the zoo with the boys' girlfriends. She took one look and said, "Oh, you must be Helen!" She is famous! Thank you blog readers.
Checking out the giant spider. They looked at this forever. The parents had to remind them that there were other things to do at the zoo. Captivating, isn't it?
Playing games. They are the best kind. They kind where no matter what you do you win the game. I hate to admit it, but I am always thankful that the Baby Bjorn really only fits me. That means that I get to be in charge of the one that is stationary and strapped to my body. He goes where I go. Daddy gets to chase the one that listens to no one and goes in fifty directions. I have to say, it is exhausting. I like to be the calm observer of the chaos sometimes.
Riding the carousel backwards was very, very cool. Alden and Helen got the last two carousel animals available for that ride it was so crowded. Spencer and Paci had to ride on Mommy, but they still got to ride. If you could see his mouth from under paci, you would know that he was happy.
I really don't know why the Batmobile was in the middle of the petting zoo. Alden has no idea who Batman is. But, hey, cute photo op.
I had this great idea that we should take a family photo in the butterfly house. It was so pretty with flowers, and cobwebs, and lights. I really hoped that when I looked at the photo later we would not be able to tell that my children are being threatened and physically forced to take a picture with their mother. I think you can pretty much tell. I look happy though, don't I ?
A ride on the tractor.
A pause in the fun for dinner. Since I am the photographer of the family, I was looking at these cute little toddlers eating their cheese quesadillas and grapes. One of them should have taken the picture of me, on the other side of the table, trying to keep Spencer's hands off of my hamburger; while sitting at a table with the baby in the Bjorn; and trying to constantly keep saltine crackers in his little hand that promptly fell out of his toothless mouth all over me, Bjorn, floor, and fluffy Halloween costume. Meals at the Zoo restaurant are always so peaceful.
Something tragic happened! The line for the train was SOOOOOO long!!! I am not kidding. We might have been standing in line for an hour. There is no way you could pay me any amount of money, no matter how important the train is to my little boy, to attempt to keep Alden in a line for an hour. The problem is that this child goes to the zoo so much that he knows that we were at the line for the train. We tell him he can't ride. Tears! We tell him we will bring him back in the morning. Tears! Thank you, Susan, who diverts a real meltdown with the fabulous idea of suggesting we go and get candy! Candy, you say? Alden decided that maybe he could cut his losses and check out option number 2. Trick or Treat at the Monkey house!
I might have to frame this. Does this say it all about Halloween or what?? As Alden would say, "I need some candy, Mommy!"
He learned quickly to keep that bag open at all times. He got so much loot that he totally forgot about the train. Yes, Daddy did take him back the next morning to get in his ride. We had babies to put to bed and ended up selling our train tickets in the parking lot to someone else. You know you are a parent when you realize that these are the types of tickets you sell, and what is worse, you know that if the situation were reversed, you would be dying to buy them! Right now, we would give just about anything for four tickets to Polar Express train ride that has been sold out since August.
Halloween VI: Yes, the sixth time we have had to dress up in these blasted costumes. Even the fireman was tired of being a fireman by now. But, this was THE event. We had such a fun time on the real Halloween. All of our little two and under friends came to our house for a Halloween party (minus Big Bro Ben again who we missed very much and our new friend, Clare, who we are excited to have over soon). Alden had been preparing and talking about it for days. He kept saying, "We are decorating our house so people can come to our party!" He is obsessed with the word "decorations" and uses it all the time. He especially loves it when it is actually applicable to the situation and used in correct context. We had dinner and then set out in the neighborhood to Trick-or-Treat. I am certain we were the cutest bunch that any of our neighbors saw that night.
We only went to about five houses which is about all these little ones could handle. They didn't seem to care that about half of them just had bowls of candy sitting on the front porch. I used to be the person that put the bowl on the porch and went out to dinner to avoid Trick-or-Treaters. Now, I am the person bummed at the bowl on the porch and upset because we didn't get many Trick-or-Treaters. I am never satisfied I guess. Can't have it both ways!
Alden had it down cold. He was charming with his "Trick-or-Treat" and polite with a "Thank You" without prompting. At least Halloween is an excellent time to repetitively practice manners. We now have a bucket full of candy from all of our events. Guess what it is used for? It is rationed for potty rewards. Probably not the most healthy choice to get him to do number 2 in the appropriate place, but we have had NO accidents since Halloween. NONE! In fact, Alden has been in big boy underwear at all times, EVEN NAPS:) So, even this organic-veggie-make your own-no frozen Mamma is all about pouring processed sugar down her child's throat if it means I don't have to clean up the mess or deal with the baby potty in my living room floor anymore or have potty tantrums. It works.
In other news, this is our new house. Alden's dog house. I made it by putting two boxes together that the boy's Christmas presents came in. Alden told me what to paint on his house, and I followed instructions. Alden would rather tell people what to draw and then look at it than actually draw things himself. So, we have a dog, a bee, grass for the dog, a window, Mr. Sun, a truck, giraffe, lion, and elephant. All of his favorites. We added his name and some roof shingles just for the finishing touches. He calls it his "dog house." He spends a lot of time in there. He would NEVER have allowed Baby Spencer to go into his house, and Baby Spencer is smart enough not to try...but when brother is sleeping when he doesn't know won't hurt him.

This is Alden's new pet. Look closely. It is a pet dead roach. Only my child, bless him. No, we can't throw him out. He lives in the bucket in the garage. We have to check on him every time we get in the car, and Alden feeds him dead leaves. I have to tell him to stop feeding him the leaves because we don't want to overfeed him. Did I really tell him that? The dead roach might overeat on dead leaves?? What is wrong with me! The yard man blew the dead roach's dead roach friend away by accident when he was also blowing away the dead roach food. Alden was so upset and asked where his friend went. I told him he went to Corbin's house (the little boy next door). I am not sure this was the right thing to say.
Guess who is babbling? We have ba-ba-ba down. An occasional da-da, although not at Joey. Tonight, I just know I heard a ma-ma. I am still working on sign language with him. Please tell me that one day he will sign back to me because right now I am just making him mad and looking really stupid doing "eat" and "more please" twenty times during a meal.
Moving on to Thanksgiving themes...At our house, we are going to celebrate the turkey. Even though Target, Smith's, and even the bakery has already moved on to Christmas, we are going to pause for turkey wear for the next two weeks. Poor Thanksgiving. Such a better parade, but so under appreciated.
Cute little Thanksgiving booties.
Our eight month birthday toy was pulling the jumperoo out of the attic. Big hit. No, wait, huge hit! Only problem is that BOTH boys want to play with it. I have found both of them in it at different times of the day. The thing is that I put one of them in there, but they both need my help getting out. Alden was a very sweet big brother (I know, pretty nice change, huh?) He was all hugs and help showing Spencer how to play with all the toys. He was actually excited for him.
He's got it all down now.
Eight months old! I had to start booking entertainment for his first birthday party last week:( While it is going to be a pretty awesome fun time, how can it be that time already! This is when I am sort of thankful he is only int he 10%. Even though he is getting big, he is still tiny and I can pretend he is still a tiny little baby.

With all of this going on, this is pretty much, this is how we all feel. Although this is the parent who sleeps...all night...every night...no justice for Mom's out there in the world.






2 comments:
The signing is not in vain! I felt the same way, but they don't have the motor skills until 9-10 months. I think Char started doing it back around 10-11 months. Now she can pick up a new sign in a day or two. Very cool!
Carla, Hayes forwarded me your link and I am finding the parallels hilarious. We too had a fire chief and Sparky, though you clearly got more of your money's worth with those costumes! Davis refuses a bottle - even after he self-weaned. It's a bit non-traditional, but somehow they get what they need. Good luck!! Our best to you and your boys.
Post a Comment